Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Pregnancy Pact

Last week I watched a Lifetime movie, "The Pregnancy Pact." Despite the disclaimer at the beginning of the movie that basically the movie is a work of fiction, this did happen in "real" life a few years ago. It is a sad fact, but seeing a teen mom is now becoming common. In the movie there is a daycare in the high school where teens can bring their kids so they can finish school. They said that it costs $13,000 to take care of one baby. That is a lot of money that could buy a lot of birth control or teach better or more varied sex ed. The movie was fairly good, though I didn't like how the first half of the movie seemed very pro abortion. Thora Birch's character kept asking the girls if they were going to keep the baby. My opinion is, if you can have the fun, you need to pay the price and at least give birth to the baby, then give it up for adoption if you can't take care of him/her. Also, they depicted buying condoms in a very bad light...who goes to a gas station where some greasy guy sells them like candy? Go to Wal-Mart where no one is going to bat an eye at your box of Trojans.

Teen pregnancy is on the rise for the first time since 1990. Though I'm sure the media would like to say it is not their fault, but the fault of parents not watching their teens, I would beg to differ. I remember when I was a teen, I rarely saw or heard about sex on tv or in movies. My parents would turn the channel if such a thing came on. Now, shows for 10-11 year olds talk not only about sex but show sex. So much that it seems like if you haven't already given up your viriginity by the time you are 15, that you are a prude, a goody two shoes, or that there is something wrong with you. I think the media needs to take a step back. Kids don't need boyfriends or girlfriends at such a young age. They don't need to be having sex, and having babies when they haven't even graduated high school.

I watch "Teen Mom" whenever it happens to be on. I like that this show shows the reality of having a baby at such a young age. Most of the girls aren't with their baby daddies and those that are have very rocky relationships. The only couple that is still together, and happy, is one who gave up their baby because they knew they couldn't take care of her, even though they may have wanted to keep her. I think so many girls think that having a baby is going to be all fun...afterall, they are just like dolls, right? Let me tell you, the cuter the baby, the more work(I should know!)

I hope the number of teen pregnancies declines very soon. We need better sex ed in the classes, more activities for teens after school, and better programing on tv and in movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment